Although there is little sauce, this mild dish cooks in its own juices! Lots of vegetables make it a colorful treat...serve over rice or noodles. Perfect for a lunar new year, or any time! If you prefer peanuts, use the lightly salted kind.
- 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup fesh sliced mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cashew halves
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 or a red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 30 snow pea pods*
- 1 can (8oz) bamboo shouts, drained, about 3/4 cup
- hot cooked rice or noodles
- a few green onion slices, for garnish
- soy sauce and more ground pepper, for serving
In a lined slow cooker, combine cream of mushroom soup, soy sauce, olive oil, and pepper; mix well. Add the chicken pieces, mushrooms, cashews, celery, carrots, red pepper, green onions, snow pea pods, and bamboo shoots. Mixture may seem dry, but as vegetables cook, there will be more liquid. Cover and cool on LOW for 6-7 hours stirring well occasionally. Rectify seasonings. Serve hot over rice or noodles. Garnish with green onion slices and extra soy sauce and ground pepper, if desired.
*Erik's Tip: If you can not find snow pea pods in the produce section of your grocery store, substitute with large green beans...the Italian kind, or regular green beans, if you like. Use the whole can, drained, there will be plenty of room in the slow cooker!
To print a copy of this recipe for your Erik Homemade® cookbook, click here--> Download Cashew Chicken recipe